Since Garibaldi Lifts Ltd. first began hiring staff in 1965, Whistler Mountain has employed thousands of people in the area, some for a season and some for careers that span decades. Like today, one of the challenges facing lift company employees then could be find a place to stay while working. In an oral history interview conducted with Lynn Mathews this past summer, there were some names of employees that came up again and again while discussing early mountain operations. One thing that three of these names, Doug Mansell, Denis Beauregard, and Frank Arundel, had in common was that they all had a place to stay well before the lifts began operating on Whistler.
Doug Mansell was a superintendent of lift operations for almost two decades. He first moved to Alta Lake with his family in 1945 at the age of 8, after his father purchased property on the east side of the lake. There the family built and operated Hillcrest Lodge, which opened its doors to guests in July 1946. Doug and his brother grew up at Hillcrest Lodge, and Doug even married a Hillcrest guest, Barb. At 14, Doug began working in Alf Gebhart’s Rainbow Lumber Mill and from 1951-56 he worked as a telephone lineman for the PGE Railway. Doug and Barb took over the management of Hillcrest when his parents retired in 1958 and later sold the lodge to Glen Mason in 1965. Hillcrest later became known as the Mount Whistler Lodge.
After selling, Doug and Barb both went to work for the lift company. As Lynn put it, “Growing up in Alta Lake, you had to be handy, and know how to do things. And Doug was really good.” Doug continued working on Whistler Mountain until he and Barb retired to North Vancouver in 1983.
Like Doug, Denis Beauregard, an electrician for the lift company, was an Alta Lake resident before runs and lifts were built on Whistler Mountain. He and his wife Pat began visiting Alta Lake with the “Witsend” group and built their own summer cottage on the lake in 1961. The story we’ve heard is that a party at Rainbow Lodge in 1966, Denis remarked that if he could get a job in the area, he would move up permanently. Brian Rowley, who worked for the lift company at that time, told Denis he could supply the job, and neighbour Don Gow offered to share his well water with the Beauregards in exchange for use of their washing machine. The Beauregards moved up and both Denis and Pat began working at the mountain. Both continued to be active members of the Alta Lake community, and even hosted the community club film screenings in the lift company cafeteria.
Both of the Beauregards’ sons worked for the lift company as well, and in 1991 Denis and Pat received silver coins commemorating their 25 years of service. The pair retired to Squamish in 1994.
Frank Arundel worked for the lift company as a heavy-duty mechanic. He and his family lived outside of the Alta Lake area, in Garibaldi Townsite, until an Order in Council and subsequent government actions cleared all residents from the area in the 1980s. Frank had a workshop on the top of the mountain, which, according to Lynn, “was usually buried in snow.” For Julie Gallagher, who grew up at Brandywine Resort in the 1960s and early 1970s, Frank’s work at Whistler Mountain was very convenient as she and his daughter were able to catch rides up to go skiing whenever he went to work.
We know there are many more stories of early employees (such as Stefan Ples, who perhaps knew the mountain better than anyone) and the early days of mountain operations, and we would love to hear them at the museum, whether you worked for the lift company yourself or heard stories passed down through the decades.